Monday, August 13, 2007

Here she is.....Miss South Africa

I have been asked a lot about my apartment. Not so much because people are curious as to how South African apartments may be different from those back home.

More importantly – it's because the one I am occupying is Miss South Africa’s.
Many friends, upon hearing that, consulted Google, and fired over pictures of the current Miss SA:


.

(And no, I do not know why she is posing with a Landrover, of all things. Why doesn't GM get in there and get the girl a CTS or something?)

I am now able to clarify that the lovely young lady they found is not, in fact, the current owner of my apartment. In fact, the owner is a former Miss South Africa. (And no - I've not met her either - I've met her mum, who is lovely).

For those who may actually be worried about my comfort – I can tell you it is a lovely apartment, with, count ‘em, two balconies – one of which is large enough to have a decent party.

The upper balcony, the large one, also has a braai. Braai’s are BBQ’s. The word can be used as a noun, a verb, or a social gathering. Apparently, everyone here either has, goes to, or prepares something on, a braai pretty much every weekend.
My current challenge is to find a store that sells charcoal, and figure out how to use it. It’s been a long time since the gas BBQ took over in Canada – so I’m not so familiar with the charcoal thing.
Either it will go very well, or I will have a good story for the blog.

The apartment is furnished, and there’s a LOT of mirrors. It helps me see exactly how I look at every angle, doing pretty much everything. It makes me want to go to the gym.

My only fear is that I will somehow destroy the white shag carpet in the bedroom. I’m not really a shag carpet kind of girl, much less white, because I know I really can’t be trusted with it. It’s only a matter of time until I forget to take my hiking boots off and am forced to become acquainted with the steam-cleaner rental business in SA. I feel that a trip to the rug store may be in order.

No comments: