Friday, September 7, 2007

слово of the Day

Rugby.

As in "where the hell have you been - it's the Rugby World Cup, and we must now all head to pubs and get drunk and sing rugby songs."

I have just joined an office rugby world cup pool.

I picked the All Blacks vs. France for the final. I really know nothing about rugby, except for the following:
  • they're called "tries" not touch downs.
  • you can drop the ball as many times as you like, and somehow that's fine, you can pick it up again and keep running.
  • there are things called scrums which look pretty agressive, and you're not supposed to touch the ball in there. C'mon - as if there's not some kicking and pushing in there. Please. I watch hockey. I know you're not 'supposed' to kick the puck, trip a guy, or run the goalie. I presume the same amount of following the rules happens in rugby.
  • some of the guys wear these funny little leather hats, which make them look a little like Corky from Life Goes On. (I'm just saying.) I take it they're to protect their ears from vicious Tyson-like attacks when they're in the aforementioned scrum.







2 comments:

Jenn said...

Would you believe I played Rugby in high school? Yep, it was the first year they allowed it for girls and it was insane. The scrum involved a great deal of eyeball gauging and typical 16 year old girlyness, and there was even a rule about nails having to be cut right down due to the "incidents" that may or may not have occurred in the aforementioned scrum. Some felt that the girls rugby team was far tougher than the boys, and I would tend to agree - I saw broken collarbones, black eyes, bloody shins, you name it. Ah, I miss those days...but not the running. I hated the running. Oh, and the position called "hooker". That one never got old in highschool :)

Unknown said...

Wow. How is a Toronto Maple Leafs fan going to deal with the overwhelming feeling of cheering for a team that actually wins?!